Looking to add some sparkle to a room in your home? DIY Glitter Light Switch Plates and Outlet Covers are an easy and fun home decor project!
We have been working on our daughters’ bedroom makeover for two weeks now. We shared our inspiration on Instagram, and I have been working on a few different things to make this room extra special for the girls. One of the projects was glitter light switch plates and outlet covers. When I started these, I honestly had no idea how they would turn out because I have never made anything like this before, but I love them. I think the glitter was perfect and they look amazing in the room.
You can also see our paint progress on Instagram.
You can easily make these by making a quick trip to Walmart.
Glitter Light Switch Plates and Outlet Covers Supplies:
– Light switch and outlet covers (as long as the ones you already have are in good condition, use those)
– Mod Podge
– Small Paint Brush
– Glitter (color of your choice)
– Wax Paper
– Toothpick or something to clean out holes in the plates
Looking for more sparkling inspiration? Check these out:
She Leaves a Little Sparkle Wherever She Goes Gold Foil Nursery Decor Wall Art Calligraphy Girls Room Metallic Poster 8 inches x 10 inchesDecorative 13Sequin Pillow Covers 18×18 Inch-2 Pack Square Teal sequin pillow case,Glitter Decorative Throw Pillow Cases With Hidden Zipper & Luxury Satin Back SideGirls Princess Tiara Purple Glitter Crown Personalized Custom Name Nursery Wall Decal, SIZE SMALL Girls Room Wall Decals, Princess Wall Decals, Nursery Decals, PLUS FREE HELLO DOOR DECAL
How you make Glitter Light Switch Plates and Outlet Covers:
2. Cover with glitter (use as much as you want, the excess will fall off) – Let dry for 15 minutes.
5. Once it’s completely dry, you can decide whether or not you need an extra coat of mod podge. I only did one coat, and it looked perfect.
Note: Don’t overdo it on the mod podge or it will take forever to dry and may not look as nice.
This is the first one I made, and I went a little too thick on the mod podge. While you can’t tell, it did come out a little bumpy and didn’t dry all the way through. It still looks great, but the outlet covers look better.
I think this one is my favorite. This outlet cover looks beautiful on the teal, and I wish they had an outlet on one of the purple walls because I think it would have been just as amazing.
I can’t wait to reveal their room! I am so excited, and we still aren’t done. Hopefully, I can get the paint project, and chalkboard posted this week!
I don’t know about you, but I love these glitter light switch plates and outlet covers!
Want to see the complete look? Check out the Little Mermaid Room Makeover Here.
- - Light switch and outlet covers (as long as the ones you already have are in good condition, use those)
- - Mod Podge
- - Glitter (color of your choice)
- - Small Paint Brush
- - Wax Paper
- - Toothpick or something to clean out holes in the plates
- Put out wax paper and paint one thin coat of mod podge on the light switch plate.
- Cover with glitter (use as much as you want, the excess will fall off) - Let dry for 15 minutes.
- Paint another thick layer of mod podge and make sure to cover completely.
- Clean out the holes for the screws. I used the inside tube of a lead pencil. Let dry for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Once it's completely dry, you can decide whether or not you need an extra coat of mod podge. I only did one coat, and it looked perfect.
Note: Don't overdo it on the mod podge or it will take forever to dry and may not look as nice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
~ This post contains affiliate links to help you find the products we use.